The PlayStation was launched in Japan on December 3, 1994, North America on September 9, 1995. In the US alone, a PlayStation® can be found in more than one out of every three households. Cumulatively, Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) has shipped more than 120 million PlayStation ® 2 units worldwide, and counting, an industry record.
The three current PlayStation gaming consoles are:
PLAYSTATION 3 – UNRIVALED HIGH DEFINITION ENTERTAINMENT
- The only next-generation console with a built-in Blu-ray player to bring you a truly brilliant, high-definition gaming and movie entertainment experience.
PLAYSTATION 2 – THE UNDISPUTED LEADER
- 42 million units installed base in the US
- Over 1400 games available
- Family friendly experience – the console for everyone
PLAYSTATION PORTABLE (PSP) – ENTERTAINMENT ON THE GO
- The PSP is the portable digital living room with the ability to play thrilling games, movies, music, access the Internet, watch live and recorded TV, speak via Skype, jam to Internet Radio, and even access your PlayStation 3 – all while on the go.
ABOUT SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. (SCEA) is responsible for the continued growth of the PlayStation® market in the United States and Canada. Based in Foster City, California, SCEA serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) that reports directly back to SCE in Japan.